Monday 6 February 2012

And We're Off and Running!

WOW!! 30-in-30 is off to a flying start! Already so many people have agreed to try having Green Smoothies for breakfast for a month, we are already up to around 10 people and I only started this at lunch-time today! So awesome!

So a few people have asked for ingredient lists etc. First here's a basic shopping list to get a few most-used items:
*A large quantity of Baby Spinach (to give you an idea of the quantity, I'm the only one in my family who has the green smoothies, I have two a day - breakfast and morning tea, and I go through the regular sized bag of baby spinach from woolies or coles in about 3 days)
*Large bunch or two of Bananas (if they ripen too quickly, you can freeze them and use them in the smoothies frozen, this adds a creamier texture anyway!)
*Frozen Mixed Berries (of your choice of course)
*Oranges
*Apples
*Pineapple
Optional Extras:
*Fresh Dates (to add some extra sweetness if you're feeling the need)
*Raw Cacao powder (this is just Cocoa in its raw form, much richer, waaay better for you and just.....moorish, you can get it from the health-food store and while its a little more expensive, you will probably only use a teaspoon or so every other day so it lasts a while)
*Raw Almonds or Cashews or both (not 100% neccessary, but I highly recommend stocking some nuts as they add some oomph to the smoothie, so particularly good for those who find just fruit and greens to be not filling enough, they also produce more of a "milky" taste and texture so makes it more like a milkshake or thickshake)
*Fresh Mint (optional, but really adds a refreshing zing to some of the combos I make)
That will get us through the first few days, and I do tend to wing it, according to what I find at the shop that looks good to me that day, some others that I use frequently are:
*Mangoes
*Fresh Berries in season
*Green Grapes
*Whatever takes my fancy at the grocers! ;)

I do like what a few of you have been saying in regards to digestion and giving your body a bit of a chance in the morning to wake up and get going. That's the reason I always start my day with a lighter, juicier smoothie using the more watery fruits such as oranges, pineapple, grapes, berries, watermelon etc. I always wait until mid morning (around 9:30 or 10am) to have the more substantial and filling smoothie using bananas and nuts.

As a note, all my quantities are just to serve ONE person, so if you're making it for more, obviously double or triple the quantities. :)

So tomorrow morning I'm going to start my day with this one:


This smoothie is simple: A large handful of baby spinach or greens of your choice, two oranges skinned and quartered, a round of pineapple skinned and cut into chunks, and 6 large or 8 small pieces of ice. Combine ingredients in the TMX or blender on Speed 6 for 10 seconds, scrape down the sides of the bowl and lid and then blend on Speed 9 for 30 seconds. No need to add water to this one as the orange and the pineapple make it really juicy anyway!

Then I'm going to plan ahead and soak a handful of Almonds overnight for my morning tea smoothie:


For this one: A large handful of baby spinach, one banana, a handful of almonds (if you've soaked them that's great as they'll be sweeter once you drain the soak water off, if not its fine but you may need to add one pitted date for sweetness if your banana isn't super ripe. If you don't have nuts at all just leave them out but you may want to add an extra banana to make it more filling), a handful of frozen mixed berries, 4-6  ice-cubes and a little water (1/4 cup up to about 3/4 cup depending on what consistency you prefer, I don't add much water as I like this one to be a meal in a glass and I like it nice and thick). Once again, use Speed 6 to combine ingredients for about 10 seconds, then scrape down the bowl and blend on Speed 9 for 30- 60 seconds to achieve your desired consistency.

As a heads up, the day after tomorrow I'll be using some green grapes and apples, in case you want to grab some! :D

Thanks for joining me on this fantastic project! Good luck to all and please let me know here or via Facebook if you have any questions or comments or there's something I've overlooked (I hope not though!!!). Love and Health! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment