Wednesday 16 May 2012

Recipes: Raw Beetroot Soup, Seeded Pizza Bread

So last Sunday was Mother's Day - I hope all you Mum's out there had a lovely day and were spoiled rotten! My daughter brought me a lovely green smoothie of baby spinach and oranges for my breakfast in bed, it was so sweet.


Then we went for a picnic lunch by the lake with my Mother, Saana, Jon and myself. It was just lovely, cool with a nice breeze but not too cold. I made a delicious and healthy picnic lunch of three deeps, some crudites and some seeded pizza bread, which I thought I'd share with you. It's based on the regular pizza dough from the Thermomix Everyday Cookbook with some adjustments. It's a lovely thickness - just a midbase, quite crunchy on the outside with a soft seeded centre, perfect for dips!

Seeded Pizza Bread:
Ingredients:
280g water
2 tsp dried yeast
20g oil
1-2 tsp salt
500g bakers flour
1 TBSP chia seeds soaked in 3 TBSP warm water
1 TBSP linseeds
1 TBSP sesame seeds

Method:
Place water, yeast, oil, salt and chia seeds in TMX bowl and blend for 6 seconds on speed 6.
Add all flour and other seeds and blend for another 6 seconds on speed 6.
Place dial onto the locked lid position, and set the timer for 2 minutes, then press Interval and stay with the machine while it kneads the dough.
Check the consistency of the dough before turning it out, if its a little sticky, just add a little more flour (approx 50g) and knead for a further 30sec to 1 minute.
Turn dough out and shape into four similar sized balls, allow to rise for 20 minutes, then roll out into pizza bases.
Top pizzas with your favourite toppings, and bake for 10-15 minutes. Or to use for dipping bread, roll out into the desired thickness, then spike the dough halfway through with a fork all the way around, and bake approx 10 minutes at 180-200C.


Everyone loved the pizza bread with dips for our Mother's Day Lunch (well except Jon, because he's still drinking milk, lol!). To top off my day my Mum and Saana gave me a beautiful bunch of flowers, which I arranged in a bowl of water for our table when I got home. They turned out so nicely I just had to snap a pic, of course. ;)


At the moment I'm participating in Uncooking101's 21 Day Raw Food Jumpstart (you can find info at her website: uncooking101.com) and I'm finding it just fabulous! As part of our program for this week we needed to try some cold soups, after trying a few from the recipes I decided to have a go at my own based on one of my fave ingredients: the humble beetroot! The result turned out looking and tasting so vibrant!

Raw Beetroot Soup:
Ingredients:
1 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
1 small clove of garlic, with core removed
120g cashews, soaked for 2-8 hours, NOT drained
1 medium beetroot (250g approx)
20g lemon or lime juice (I used kaffir lime juice)
130g water (or more to your preference)
1 tsp sea salt
2 TBSP fresh parsley
small sprinkle of diced shallots and parsley to garnish

Method:
Grind cumin in TMX for 1 minute on speed 9.
Add garlic and mince for 3 seconds on speed 7.
Add all other ingredients (except garnish) and blend for 1 minute on speed 9.
Check consistency - I made mine quite thick so I could use it for a dip with vege sticks as well as a soup, if you prefer it to be more of a soupy consistency, add at least 50-100g more water.
Serve up in your favourite bowl, garnish with the greenery and enjoy! :D


Soon I will be sharing a Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa recipe, but its still in development (read: I had a great inspiration last night but it turned out sooooo salty it was inedible, so back to the drawing board!) and once I get clear of my To Do List (which is about as long as my daughter is tall!) I will be putting out my Chookie's Cookin' Great Green Smoothies recipe ebook. So stay tuned, and please leave me some comments and feedback on what you'd like to see on the blog!

Til next time, Love and Health, B xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment